On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Troy.A Johnson wrote:
> I can get 1.5mb/256mb and 1 static IP for $70/mo, but I have been told I
> have to use their NAT (on the DSL router). This is NOT what I want.

I've been told that in some cases (ISP's offering Qwest DSL with an
Actiontec or Qwest router and a single static IP, not sure about your
specific Covad situation), you can configure the router as a bridge, and
run a PPPoE client on a Linux box and therefore have the IP on the Linux
box, without having to buy a subnet. Haven't yet had the chance to try
this myself or for one of our DSL clients (most of our customers who need
IP's just get subnets), but it seems like it'd be a reasonable way of
doing things.