Not everyone is in to hardware like I am so I figured I should make the
"stepping" subject clear.

Stepping is the microcode version of the processor.  A dual (or greater
processor) system "MUST" have processors of the same stepping or they
will not work properly ("or at all").

On the PII 400mhz processors...
Have a bracket on the front side of the processor that holds the heat
sync in place.  I don't know who designed the bracket but they should
have been taken out and beaten with a wet noodle!  The bracket covered
the stepping number, _only the stepping number_  >:o
Thats why I didn't want to look for the stepping number in the first
place. Heat sync grease and all that.

I had a request for a dual processor upgrade.
I had to remove the bracket (bracket only) that holds the heat sync to
get the stepping off the S.E.C.C.2 400mhz  processors.

I Looked up the stepping on the Intel site.
FYI
http://search.intel.com/support/search.asp?q1=stepping&SearchCrit=ALL&selFamily=24%23%240&selLine=All&recsPerPage=25&category=support&hidProductName=All+Processors+Products&hidProductAlias=prd24&mh=200&Family=1&Line=All&hidProductIndex=-1&source=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.intel.com%2Fsupport%2Fsearch.asp&version=2.0&ICrit=undefined&IRecs=1&FamFilter=

The PII comes in 2 packages.
The S.E.C.C.  and the S.E.C.C.2
<Thank the great Linux master in the sky Intel put pictures on the web. >

The S.E.C.C.  has a fully surrounded slot connector
The S.E.C.C.2 has a partially surrounded slot connector

*For the 400mhz processors, 100mhz bus*
S.E.C.C.2 stepping  SL357   = 7 processors

S.E.C.C. stepping SL2U6   = 2 processors

S.E.C.C. stepping SL257  =  1 processor

*For the 233mhz processors , 66mhz bus*
S.E.C.C. stepping SL2HD = 2 processors

S.E.C.C. stepping SL2HF = 1 processor