[top-posting fixed]

Todd Young <auditodd at comcast.net> writes:

> David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> > Mine is chmod 2775 owner root.wheel, mostly (except a lot of the
> > directories in it are owned by different users, and most are in group
> > wwwadmin).  Works fine, has for years.

> OK, I've been playing with Linux for a year, I was baptized on
> Irix(for 4 years).....why the extra digit in the permissions below,
> specifically the 2? I thought it was "user-group-everyone", what's the
> fourth place for? Thanks.

It's different on files and directories.  On a directory, the 2000 bit
means that files and directories created within the directory will
inherit the group association of the containing directory.  Hence the
wheel association and, if they have the correct umask, group write
permission, will stick around.

(The original question, as I read it, was specifically about the
ownership and protection of /var/www, or whatever the web root is on
the system.)
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <dd-b at dd-b.net>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
Photos: <dd-b.lighthunters.net>  Snapshots: <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>