IIRC, this is Procmail's handiwork.

I think if Procmail has a problem delivering into a user's mailbox
(permissions, ownership, etc), it renames /var/mail/USER to
/var/mail/BOGUS.USER, then creates a new (properly owned/permed) mailbox
to deliver into.

So those BOGUS.* probably have real mail in them that needs to be
delivered.

Ultimately you'll want to find out what's causing this - I think it gets
logged to maillog or procmail's own log (if configured).

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications