If someone is going to play with the saw blade idea, get a video camera
for the event. Leave the video tape to me in your will so I can sell it
to hollyweird.

I can see it now "Jack Ass II - Sharp Spinning Objects"  :-D

By the way, DON'T DO IT!

You got me on to the wood working tool subject, something I know more
about then Linux or M$.

I know that a hand held circular saw blade spins from about 1100 rpm to
over 5000 rpm.  They use a universal  motor. The universal motor is
designed to run at higher rpm, at lower horse power, for cutting quick
cross cuts. A a radial arm or table saw uses an induction motor that
runs at lower rpm but higher horse power. The induction motor will
maintain it's rotational speed when ripping the length of a 6 foot oak
2x10 because the horse power is greater.

A radial arm saw (one of my favorite wood working tools by the way)  by
Delta has a 14 inch blade and a 3 horse motor, it produces about 3400
rpm.  I would not want t be in the way if that blade comes off the
spindle.  At least it would _not_ go in the direction of the user if it did.

I've seen blades with missing carbide teeth but I have not had the joy
of being in the way of one.  They generally come off in the material
being cut. It happens because people force to much material in to the
blade or the material has nails or other foreign matter in it,
loosening and removing teeth.
This would be similar to the CD coming apart in the drive.

Using your ears is the best measure of how a saw is performing.  I heard
a 5 horse table saw come to a complete stop and blow the breaker one
time. To much material being forced in to the blade.  It really didn't
take that long, the kid didn't understand why it "always" did that
(@#$%$).  I explained to him why he should take his time and let the
machine do the work.

Norm is right, always ware your safety glasses!

Sam.