On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 23:53:08 -0600, Sam MacDonald <smac at visi.com> wrote:

> For the life of me I can't remember what the "human" values of 0750
> are.

Here's my stupid trick for figuring out chmod values - it could be way
wrong or something but it works or me

each of the numbers correspond to the permissions for either the owner,
the group or the world (I rarely mess with the first number - the "sticky
bit" so this applys to the last 3)

for each grouping of users (owner, group, world) you can have rwx (read
write execute) "on" or "off"

so
if you want them all "on" rwx => you'd have 111
if you want them all "off" --- => you'd have 000
if you wanted read and nothing else r-- => you'd have 100

now convert those binary looking numbers about to decimal:

if you want them all "on" rwx => you'd have 111 ==> 7
if you want them all "off" --- => you'd have 000 ==> 0
if you wanted read and nothing else r-- => you'd have 100 ==> 4
if you wanted read and execute r-x => you'd have 101 ==> 5

Soooo ........

read, write , execute (rwx or 111 or 7) for owner, read and execute (r-x
or 101 or 5) for the group and read only (r-- or 100 or 4) for worls would
be:  <drum roll> 754 </drum roll>

long story short - think of each grouping as a binary number and then
convert to decimal.