On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 DeBeau at aol.com wrote:

> I am attempting to add a printer (Canon MultiPass C5500) in Red Hat 8.0.
> First attempt resulted in a message reporting that KDE was unable to create a
> printer probably because I did not have the required permission, etc. Since I
> was logged on as "root," what more permission must I have?
>
> Next attempt after rebooting resulted in the message that KDE was unable to
> load a valid driver. This in spite of the printer being listed in the choices
> offered.
>
> Third attempt via KDE CUPS resulted in the second screen (Backend Selection)
> being gray and unresponsive and the third screen requiring a response in the
> second screen.
>
> Fourth attempt via Red Hat's Printer Configuration Tool resulted in what
> appeared to be a success until I attempted to print a test page which never
> materialized. Also, the printer does not appear as a choice when I attempt to print
> in Open Office.

hmm
try using the cups configuration webpage.
http://localhost:631/ and login as root

add a printer this way and give it a try, if there are no drivers listed
you can try one of the generic drivers or try to find the proper PPD
online, I've have very good luck simply grabing the ppd from the MacOSX
drivers (MacOSX uses CUPS)

the ppd found on linux-printing.org require extra backends to be installed
that are not part of RH iirc, so i usually steer clear of these PPDs.

once you download the PPD just put it in /usr/share/cups/model and restart
cups,

now try to add/edit the printer and the new driver should be in the list

--
Munir Nassar
RedConcepts.NET