On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 09:08, rpgoldman at real-time.com wrote:
> I have been providing CVS service for a group of people, and have been
> having problem with directories and files being created with the wrong
> group (so this problem arises in CVS, but it's a more general
> problem).  For example, I have a user, juser, who is in two groups:
> juser (personal group) and project.  When he's adding files to the
> repository, I'd like juser to have them be created with group
> ownership project, instead of group ownership juser.  I've just
> realized that I know how protections are defaulted (with umask), but
> I've no idea how group ownership is defaulted, and it seems like such
> a basic question, I don't know how to find it in a man page....

I'v had problems with this also. It's not a basic question, at least it
wasn't for me :)

Look into setting the "s" flag for the group permissions of your cvsroot
directory and your project root dir. so your project directory within
cvsroot will look like this .
drwxrwsr-x   11 root     prog         4096 Nov 30 20:00 project
     here                users belong to this group

this causes the permissions to be set on execution to that of the group
which owns the directory. You still have to be a member of the group I
believe. I'm a little hazy on the specifics of how this works but it
does. It will set the group ownership of files and dirs created in that
dir to that of the group.

there is a little info in 'info chmod'.

- tom

Tom Penney <blots at visi.com>