Dell had an older PCMCIA product differing from the Trumobile 1150 series
with Lucent/Agere chips everyone talks about.  Support and compatibility for
the current series is NOT a problem when one follows the written clues to
origins and model compatibilities: newer Dell Truemobile 1150 PCMCIA cards
are the Lucent/Agere version of Lucent's original Orinoco Gold product, not
the Proxim version of the Orinoco products.  Dell/Lucent/Agere software
updates work on Dell 1150 PCMCIA cards, but Proxim stuff (a buyer, not a
producer of these cards) does not.  My Dell card shows the Lucent name and
symbol.  I think Lucent (now Agere Systems - and their PA foundry, not the
MN group) makes the chips for all.  Orinoco is now Proxim's "housebrand" and
probably has silly stuff in the firmware to limit compatibility with
non-Proxim cards.  I would not buy a Proxim product because of the
compatibility limits I found recently with my Dell card (I know some of the
Lucent/Bell Labs chip guys who do the Dell stuff and trust/respect them, but
not Proxim which is only their customer if that much).

Chuck