On 29 Aug 2003, Tom Penney wrote:
> You mean I might actually be able to use my home wireless network? I
> bought an SMC access point/router and SMC 802.11b card. The box said
> 1500ft range. I'm lucky to get 20ft and only if there are no walls in
> the way. Kind of useless. I can't work outside on the deck like I'd
> hoped. LOL. I see several orinoco gold cards on ebay <$50. lots of
> external antennas too. Would you recommend the silver over the gold?

 The order is: Bronze < Silver < Gold.  Bronze doesn't suppose WEP, Silver
supports 64-bit, and Gold supports 64- or 128-bit.  Although I've heard
rumors that the former two can be flashed to the latter's firmware.  I
wouldn't know; I only have Golds.  (Or the Dell Truemobile 1150, which is
basically an Orinoco Gold.)  Good cards, I've been pretty happy with
them.

     Jima