On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 09:48:29PM -0500, Tim Wilson wrote:
> I just got my Comcast broadband connected and I sat down to hit Slashdot
> You were denied access because:
> Access denied by access control list.

I don't know if Comcast is still doing this but they used to require you
to provision your cable modem to get it to run.  That meant telling
their tech support what the MAC address of the cable modem and the
MAC address of the computer behind it was.  I think there was a serial
number for the cable modem too.  So if you used your laptop to test the
connection when the cable guy was there, then moved in your firewall
box, you had to call tech support to change it over before it would
work.

That's my best guess.

Nate
Hoping that Charter Cable doesn't give me nightmares.