From: tclug-list-admin at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-admin at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of The Wandering Dru
Sent: August 27, 2003 4:16 PM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:00

swarty wrote:
> I am new to the TCLUG list and eager to learn as much as possible.  If
> this has already been discussed, please just point me in the right
> direction.  Any and all help will be appreciated.
>
> I've been running a stock RedHat 8 system as a Samba server for
awhile,
> and wanted to get RedHat 8 my new nForce2 motherboard.  I got all the
> drivers and files from nVidia and followed their instructions, as well
> as instructions from another nforce forum.  Part of the installation
> required patching the kernel, and recompiling.  I read up on this and
it
> seemed rather straight forward, but each and every new kernel came up
> with this error!
>
> Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:00
>
> I tried checking GRUB to see that every kernel was booting the same,
and
> all looks the same.  This is my first venture into kernel compiling
and
> configuring. I hope you all can help!
> Here are some details:
>
> RedHat 8
> Kernel 2.4.22 (from Kernel.org)
> nForce2 mother board rev 1.04
> latest nVidia nForce2 linux drivers from website
> latest nVidia linux drivers for Ti4400
>
> Also can anyone point me to a good source for understanding all (or
> most) of the kernel configuring options?

Since you said your bootloader looks okay, the next guess I would have
is that RH uses initrd for an initial boot image.  If this is the case,
you need to create one for your newly-compiled kernel and point the
bootloader toward it.  I believe the command is mkinitrd.  Of course
there may be a way to do this "The Red Hat Way" (I'm not a big RH guy).

It's just a guess but anytime I've run into this problem it is either no

initrd, bad bootloader config or the filesystem module is not
loaded/compiled in.

--
The Wandering Dru <dru at druswanderings.net>
http://druswanderings.net <--- Things 'n' Such

Get nifty TCLUG merchandise at the TCLUG Store!
http://www.cafeshops.com/tclug