I am new to the TCLUG list and eager to learn as much as possible.  If
this has already been discussed, please just point me in the right
direction.  Any and all help will be appreciated.

I've been running a stock RedHat 8 system as a Samba server for awhile,
and wanted to get RedHat 8 my new nForce2 motherboard.  I got all the
drivers and files from nVidia and followed their instructions, as well
as instructions from another nforce forum.  Part of the installation
required patching the kernel, and recompiling.  I read up on this and it
seemed rather straight forward, but each and every new kernel came up
with this error!

Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:00

I tried checking GRUB to see that every kernel was booting the same, and
all looks the same.  This is my first venture into kernel compiling and
configuring. I hope you all can help!
Here are some details:

RedHat 8
Kernel 2.4.22 (from Kernel.org)
nForce2 mother board rev 1.04
latest nVidia nForce2 linux drivers from website
latest nVidia linux drivers for Ti4400

Also can anyone point me to a good source for understanding all (or
most) of the kernel configuring options?

Scott Swartwoudt