Dan Rue wrote:

> So a "new to the linux thing" guy is setting up a RH webserver for his
> office and he asked me to show him how it all works, where files are,
> etc.  I'm sure he's doing the old "install it all now so i don't have
> to add more later" approach.  Now, i'm a deb guy, so i am pretty
> worthless with the whole RPM thing.  Basically, I'm wondering if
> there's a good distro that is built to be a webserver (apache), and
> built to do little else.  No GUI, but easy to set up type thing.  I am
> afraid this guy's going to run (and i had an old boss that did this)
> RH with evreything other thing installed, including X, and it'll be a
> big darn mess for him to figure out what is going on with his "server".
> So, any advise, suggestion would be cool.  thanks
> dan

Give him what he wants and no more, a webserver.

Now that may sound simple and it is, but I need more information to give
you an answer that will make the customer happy. Who is designing the
website and who is implementing the website.  Sounds like your friend is
installing the OS, why not make your life more simple and do the whole
thing.  If you will have to fix it later (sounds like that is what will
happen) why not make fixing it simple.  You may need to give him access
to the server from a windows machine so samba may be necessary.  God
forbid he may want to use frontrage as his development tool of choice.

I guess what I'm saying is to control your time now so you don't waste
your time later.

Sam.

P.S.  windows SA's that have only been around a short time think
everything is GUI, why I don't know.  I miss Netware 3.X more then
anyone will ever know, sniff sniff :(