How exactly does this fit in with Cygwin and virtual machines?

What is the difference between several wireless laptops spewing out
e-mail, versus using any of the seemingly limitless supply of promiscuous
relays on the net?  Or insecure webforms.  Or trojaned PC's from the last
virus outbreak?

Or am I just missing some key point here?

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Sam MacDonald wrote:

> A laptop wandering around a city sending out an eMail attack from
> different WiFi locations could be very difficult to stop.  Several
> laptops wandering around a city would be just nasty.
>

> Adam Maloney wrote:
>
> >I'm having trouble understanding the danger here.  This is already a
> >common hosting solution (albeit, not with Cygwin).  FreeBSD and Linux both
> >have software that let you run multiple virtual machines on the same
> >physical hardware.  And there's vmware of course.  IBM has
> >enterprise-class servers that can run hundreds or thousands of unique
> >instances of Linux (or AIX) on one server.  IBM calls this LPAR - Logical
> >Partitioning.  Sun also has something similar, although I don't remember
> >what they call their flavor.
> >
> >Hosting companies like it because they can give a customer full control
> >over their virtual machine, and they can't influence any other customers.
> >You can buy 1 biggie-sized server and charge customers a premium rate for
> >"virtual server" instead of "virtual host".
> >
> >This is actually more difficult to do mass-hacking versus virtual
> >webhosting with Apache or IIS.  Since you need to break into X machines to
> >deface X websites, rather than breaking into 1 machine to deface a bunch
> >of sites.  And since each machine is it's own instance of Linux, it will
> >likely be running different software and be patched at a different level.
> >
> >Granted, you have the problem that you can take out all of these virtual
> >servers if the 1 machine goes down - but you have the same problem with
> >virtual webhosting already.  And you wouldn't be running 1000 instances of
> >Linux on a big Pentium box.  No, this would be a 32-way IBM p690, or a
> >106-way SunFire 15k (drool).  You need to lose a lot of components before
> >the whole system chokes.
> >

> >>Vanishing websites at the click of the (X)
> >>Virus distributors, script kiddies, crackers of the worst kind could
> >>really kick some serious butt. And with WiFi coming in to its own we
> >>could have all sorts of problems.
> >>
> >>Sam

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator