On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 11:32:57AM -0500, Adam Maloney wrote:

[yup, i'm replying]

> This is after burning the 3 CD's needed for installation.  I remember
> installing Slack off of about 20 floppies.  I've even installed MS-based
> operating systems with only 1 CD, so this was kind of a shocker.

You can install RedHat many ways, 2 floppies, 1 CD, or 3 CD's

MS OS's don't come with 2 database servers, a web server, web proxy, something
like 6 different programming languages, quite a few games, and a bazillion
other things you may or may not need.

> Well, more specifically, the actual FILES were there, but mysql_install_db
> hadn't been run, and safe_mysqld isn't started at boot.  The RPM'd
> installation appears to be worthless, since mysqld can't find the database
> directory, despite it being specified in my.cnf.  So I decide it's
> probably going to take far less time to just remove it and install from
> source as I normally do.

I've never seen the installation script fail for mysql-server, safe_mysqld
isn't supposed to be started at boot (This is RedHat, not .. nevermind,
everything just isn't enabled by default)

> rpm --erase Mysql-blah fails depends check because of Perl-DBD.  Okay, so
> I rpm --erase Perl-DBD, which fails depends check because of Mysql-blah.
> Great, I've seen this kind of circular logic before, but out of Redmond.
> Okay, so I try rpm --erase --nodeps Perl-DBD and it hangs.  Process is
> running, not gaining time.  It's been sitting there spinning for 30
> minutes.

Yeah, man rpm, there's hardly ever a reason for --nodeps, and when you
think there is, there isn't =)

Overall, I'd say that particular piece of hardware requires a drop off a
large structure. Compaq supports Red Hat, I've installed it on some of
their more annoying hardware (proliant 3500), the only problem I had was
finding the software to reconfigure the raid array.