kcbnac at bnac.biz wrote:

>I have this potential server (discussed several days ago in previous thread)

I sent a link a few days ago but I didn't test it at the time, I see now
it didn't work :( sorry. This is the PDF for the IBM Redbook. ** I
didn't send the Redbook PDF to the list because it's over 4 megabytes **

I did send it to Keith ;-)

I use to work for IBM as a System Administrator, yes the xSeries (Intel
servers) but mostly Compaq/HP. An IBM Redbook will tell you everything
about the subject it is based on. In other words the IBM PC Server 330.

I have to assume you know about PC's as you understand the terminology.
Servers are similar to PC's but they are proprietary in the hardware
design. In other words IBM, Compaq, Dell, etc...  put in parts
engineered by the respective company.

You will need the information on the 330 so you can build the machine
you want. The word build applies to more then the hardware. It includes
building the system software that will let you install the OS.

[Questions]
Do you have the set of CD's that came with the server when it was new?

    This is important because these CD's contain the system software,
    it's required to "build" the machine.
    Don't worry the CD's can be acquired in several ways.

In general where did you get the server?
    I ask this because they may have the CD's, most SA's (System
Administrators)
    are happy to help out when someone is learning about systems. Some
on the
    other hand are not.

Did you buy this on eBay?
    If so I now an SA who may get me the CD's. Worst case we find the ISO's
    on an IBM site and build the CD's.

Sam.