Hello everybody.

I'm currently in Minneapolis and looking around
for a copy of linux, the distro isn't important,
but I want to install it for my girlfriend who
is working on a organic farm for the summer and
wants to relearn how to program in her freetime.
So we were going to work on LAMP projects.

Basically it's an older PC P-133 w/ 64megs and a
1.6 gig hard drive, so an older distro or one
that includes some of the lighter GUIs would be
ideal.

I just haven't been able to find access to a
cd-burner and high speed internet, so I thought
I would appeal to the local linux community and
see if anybody has an extra copy lying around or
could burn one, that I could meet up with and
pick it up wherever. I have a bike and a lot of
free time but not much money.

Are there any cool computer co-ops in this city,
and if not, why not ? Or else does anyone know
of a store that has burnt (not boxed) copies of
linux for sale, maybe out of the walnut creek
catalog so they're only 5$.

The cities have been pretty inspirational to me
thus far with the wide network of worker-coops
and projects like that but I haven't found very
many cool tech-orientated places, perhaps there
just isn't the link between the social-minded
progressive projects and the free software
movement that I'm used to being in Chicago...

Also have you heard about the cities plan to
create free wifi hot spots at all of the
recreation centers and parks ? I read about it
in the Pulse last week, that's pretty exciting.
Is there a community wifi movement going on in
this city if so I'd love to meet up with some of
the people involved in it cuz I'm trying to do
something like that in Chicago but haven't got
it going yet due to a extreme lack of funds.

Also the idea of creating 802.11b wireless
freenet nodes is a good way of creating a
back-up redudnant freenet network that will go
beyond existing infrastructure and also provide
a secure way of using the openness of WIFI with
it's built in encryption of each transactions.
And thanks to the anonymity of it providing the
public with internet access to the freenet
project can't get you in trouble. That was
atleast my idea for some wifi stuff, of course
ideally we would just give everybody free
internet access.

So anybody who has an extra distro of linux that
they could share I'd appreciate it. You can
e-mail me or page me at 866-377-9733 and I'll
get back to you.

Thanks alot, if I'm still in town I'll probably
try and check out your next meeting on the 28th
right ?

Chao,
  Robbt