On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Joseph wrote:

> I was tried to send a message to an AOL account from my home network and
> I received the following error message from them.
> The original message was received at Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:39:30 -0500
> from IDENT:1000 at Lum.tomobiki.dyndns.org [192.168.57.2]

due to the SPAMdemic many ISP are finding out that RFCs are in fact a Good
Thing(tm) and that following them greatly reduces spam.

too lazy to check the exact RFC at this moment, but basically it states
that the sending mailserver has to have an MX record, that is it has to be
a mailserver. Another thing that the recipient mailserver should check for
is the domain sent with the helo/ehlo command, many sendmail installations
simply send localhost, which is invalid according to the RFC, and should
also be rejected.

So what you have to do is basically use your ISP smtp server to send mail.
Or setup your own, which means you need a static IP.

I have been have been using these measures on my mailservers for the past
3-4 months or so reducing SPAM by over 90% with only one legitimate
mailserver being refused. A polite but firm email to the administrator
fixed that.

Munir Nassar
RedConcepts.NET
http://redconcepts.net/