<snip>

> some boring data goes by.. then  BAM!  Whatwasthat?  Oh, my mail > client checking mail..
>
> Oh, my password plaintext going out into the great unknown...
>
>                                 Oh Roadrunner - why is this so???
Don't blame Roadrunner, it's the protocol's fault.  POP3/IMAP sends passwords from the client to the server in plain text, so does FTP and Telnet (which is why you should always use SSH, don't even install telnet, rsh, etc).

Wonderful what you can find with stuff like ethereal and snort isn't it?  You can find ways to do each of these protocols over SSL though so no plaintext passwords are sent over the ether.

Josh