I use it all the time to connect to work through their firewall.

I have a e-mail automaton on the linux machine at work.  It issues a ppp
call command to call my gateway at home.  The ppp call script does a ssh
command to establish the session.  My work and home system then uses
nat/snat/masquerading to hide the home network from the work network.