Sam MacDonald said:
> Yesterday I had a little power problem, the lack of it for about 2
> seconds. That caused my workstation, Linux box, DSL modem, Linksys
> router, switch, and lights to go BLACK.  Only my Compaq Proliant 2500
> stayed up, it isn't on a ups but it is on a very good surge suppressor
> and a different circuit.  Thanks to Compaq for building a work horse.

The power into your house is on 2 different circuits.  One is 180 degrees
out of phase from the other thus creating your 220v circuits.  It's
possible for one phase to go out and not the other.

Ever have a power failure where only half of the lights in your house go out?

I was an operator once for a UNISYS 9030.  One day the CPU stopped, but
the lights and the disk drives kept working and the tape drives were out.
We had lost half of our 220v circuit.  Took a while to convince the DP
manager that we had power problems.