Rick Meyerhoff writes:
> I still have not been able to get my network (just a crossover cable)
> to work right. At this
> point I can ping from w2k to Linux but not from Linux to w2k. Here is
> what happens when I try:

Disable any firewall running on both Linux and on Windows.  This should do
it for Linux:

export FW=/sbin/iptables
for i in filter nat mangle; do $FW -F -t $i; done
for i in INPUT OUTPUT FORWARD; do $FW -P $i ACCEPT; done
for i in PREROUTING OUTPUT POSTROUTING; do \
    $FW -t nat -P $i ACCEPT; done
for i in PREROUTING INPUT FORWARD OUTPUT POSTROUTING; do \
    $FW -t mangle -P $i ACCEPT; done

> It's annoying to turn it off because
> I only have one mouse (gave the spares away) and if I move the mouse
> from the Linux box Linux stops recognizing the mouse when I replace
> it and so I have to reboot.

I suggest getting another mouse.  You can get a cheap one for less than $10
at many shops.

If you are using a PS/2 mouse instead of USB, and it sounds like you are,
stop hot swapping it.  PS/2 hardware is not hot swappable.  On older
hardware, you could fry the motherboard doing that.  On modern hardware, it
usually works, but there is a chance to fry the keyboard or mouse port.  Get
another mouse, or switch to USB.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/