On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:05:43 -0500, Rick Meyerhoff <rick at eworld3.net>
wrote:

> I still have not been able to get my network (just a crossover cable) to
> work right. At this
> point I can ping from w2k to Linux but not from Linux to w2k. Here is
> what happens when I try:
>
> [rick at myLinux rick]$ ping myW2k
> PING myW2k (192.168.1.2) 56(84) bytes of data.

Humm...  can you ping the IP address of your windows box instead of it's
name?  PING is saying that the IP address of myw2k is 192.168.1.2 - is that
true?
Do you have a Name Server that is resolving names on you LAN?  Just
wondering how ping is knowing the IP address of the windows box...

I'm kinda new to this too, these are just some thoughts I had   :)

> (the link lights on both cards flash in unison but this ping just
> "hangs" here without any output until I CTRL-C, then I get...)
>
> --- myW2k ping statistics ---
> 8 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 7016ms
>

> I am still learning about networking so please don't make any
> assumptions.
>
> Could it be my windoze firewall (ZoneAlarm)? It does not report that
> someone has been trying to ping. It's annoying to turn it off because I
> only have one mouse (gave the spares away) and if I move the mouse from
> the Linux box Linux stops recognizing the mouse when I replace it and so
> I have to reboot.

I think you can just restart X - ctl-atl-BACKSPACE should restart X ---- if
it drops you to a prompt w/o restarting, just type startx

there may be an easier way than restarting the winder manager, but I think
that is easier than rebooting!