On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 01:36:09PM -0500, PHPTOm wrote:
> I will go buy a book on Linux security I think.  any suggestions?

Yeah.  Enable cracklib in PAM to ensure you're using good passwords.
Rotate them often.  Don't enable any services in /etc/inetd.conf unless
you absolutely have to.  Install xinetd instead of the old standard
inetd.

[...snip from /etc/pam.d/passwd ]
# Alternate strength checking for password. Note that this requires the
# libpam-cracklib package to be installed.  You will need to comment out
# the password line above and uncomment the next two in order to use
# this.  (Replaces the `OBSCURE_CHECKS_ENAB', `CRACKLIB_DICTPATH')
#
password required       pam_cracklib.so retry=3 minlen=8 difok=3
password required       pam_unix.so use_authtok nullok md5

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/