On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:11:28 -0500 (CDT)
"Wayne Johnson" <waynej at dccmn.com> wrote:

> Another option would be to run putty and piggyback VNC on it.  I get
> to my home laptop from work that way all the time.
>
> VNC uses X11, and you don't need to install the X server on your
> remote machine.

Quick question, but what if you don't run a GUI desktop.  My understanding is that VNC only works with a GUI desktop, not a console.  The system I connect to whenever I'm outside of my home network has X installed, but not configured.  I did not ever plan on using a GUI desktop, as it takes up valuable resources on an ancient P166 system.

--
Shawn

  The difficult we do today; the impossible take a little longer.

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"