Ok, I think there is a basic misunderstanding here.  If all you want is a
remote xterm (a terminal window to a linux box in this case), then putty
is roughly equivelent.  An xterm will give you a command line interface to
a system.  Putty will give you a command line interface to a remote system
via SSH.

If you want a remote X desktop that will let you run all sorts of X apps
(netscape, open office, xeyes, whatever) in an X GUI environment, then you
need an X server running on the machine you'll be sitting at.  If this is
a MS Windows based system, you'll need something like X-Win32, Exceed,
Reflections for X, or XFree86 inside a Cygwin environment.

If you are at all worried about data security on your network, you'll
probably want to run your X session over SSH via Putty.  If you aren't
worried about data security on your network for whatever reason (you
aren't going over the internet, you trust everyone on your network, or
whatever), then you can take SSH out of the picture.

Again, if your goal is to simply have a remote xterm window, then Putty
over ssh is functionally equivelent and much more secure.  If you want a
full X environment on a remote box then you need to look at something like
X-Win32, XFree86 with Cygwin, or something similar.

One other way to accomplish this is with something called VNC.

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

Again, if you've got any concerns about data security over your network,
you'll still want to run VNC over SSH.

Jeff