On Wednesday 20 August 2003 10:24 am, Sam MacDonald wrote:
> No I don't have a fire wall running (thank you James Spinti)
>
> I did (as root) ps -ef grep | sshd   (thank you Johnny Fulcrum)
>     results
> root   27813 27782   0:09:04  tty1  00:00:00:  grep sshd
>
> This is where I get lost because I don't know how to interpret the
> output of grep so...
>
>    I did
> ps -ef | more
> This displayed all the processes, "sshd" is not on the list.
> So I do not have "sshd" running.
> Where did I put that CD...
>
> Sam.

Are you still running RH 6.2?  If so, it is probably installed.  As root,
run chkconfig --list.  That will list all the available services and
whether or not they are turned on and at which run levels.  If it doesn't
show up, then you will need to install it.

To turn on sshd type chkconfig sshd on.  That will turn it on the next time
you restart.  To start it now, as root type /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd start
(if you are running a newer version of RH, it is now /etc/initd/sshd, but
I think the old syntax still works too).
--
Thanks,

James Spinti
jspinti at dartdist dot com