On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 16:27:18 -0500
Erik Anderson <erik at andersonfam.org> wrote:
>I have a RH8 box whose /var I need to move to another partition.  Would
>the following command be OK to copy the current /var to the /newvar?
>
># rsync -avp /var /newvar
>
>Do you see any issues with that?

Just make sure you dont have anything running that uses /var when you do it.
Moving /var can mess up some system state and other things. Use lsof to
verify if at all possible.

I dont think your command has any bugs, but -a already includes -p so its
redundant.  If you have any hard links, you might also insider adding the -H
option, but I dont think anything does that by default in /var. If you tar
everything, then untar it in the destination, you have the added benefit of
having just completed a backup at the same time.

Jay