I can't speak for the Intel 865 chipset, but my Asus A7N8X-Deluxe
(nForce2 chipset) with a Silicon Image Si112A SATA/RAID controller
works just fine. 2.4.21/22 kernels have support for the controller, it
worked with no problem.  I was even able to get UDMA working, though I
do have to call hdparm from a script at boot time.

I would recommend downloading a newer kernel (2.4.22-rc*. for
example), and perusing $KERNEL/Documentation and/or running 'make
[menu|x]config', to see if your SATA controller has a driver already
in the kernel. If not, I'd visit

http://www.linux-ide.org/

which has some links and information as well.

--
Chris

<quote who="Chuck">