On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:23:22 -0500
"Raymond Norton" <admin at lctn.org> wrote:

> >Here's the syntax you want to follow.  It worked for me on Slack, but
> >the
> password option didn't work:
>
> >root at server:/# useradd -c 'User Name' -d /home/guest9 -g users -m -k
> /etc/skel -p password -s /bin/bash -u 33499 guest9
>
> >Hope that helps to get you going in the right direction.  Again, the
> password option  didn't work for me, so you'll need to research that.
>

> This is nice, but it doesn't help me create 1200 users by batch.

How about a while/read loop where you read a flat file and awk print the variables in?

Here's a script I created to create about 400 home directories from reading a flat file:

#!/usr/bin/sh
#set -x
#for i in `cat passwd`
cat passwd|while read i
do
USER=`echo $i|awk -F: '{print $1}'`
UID=`echo $i|awk -F: '{print $3}'`
GROUP=`echo $i|awk -F: '{print $4}'`
DIR=`echo $i|awk -F: '{print $6}'`
/sbin/mkdir $DIR
/sbin/chown $USER:$GROUP $DIR
/sbin/chmod 755 $DIR
done

I think you might be able to set something up in a loop to get what you need.

--
Shawn

  The difficult we do today; the impossible take a little longer.

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"