Johnny Fulcrum wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 09:22:07 -0500, Austad, Jay <JAustad at temgweb.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> Red hat - I can't stand how long it takes me to get updates on my
>>> Mandrake system.  With red hat - I always can connect, and get
>>> packages. Mandrake - it's hit or miss - I miss most of the time.
>>

>> If you join MandrakeClub and use the mirrors there, it's nice and
>> fast.  $60
>> a year, it's worth it.
>

> True - I forgot about that.  I suppose that's for unlimited systems
> too eh?

I always just put this in my crontab set for daily at 11pm.
getupdates /updates/mandrake9.1.src /updates/mandrake9.1

getupdates file is:
wget --quiet --input-file=$1 --directory-prefix=$2 --tries=0
--timestamping --glob=on --recursive --no-host-directories --cut-dirs=4

/updates/mandrake9.1.src file is:
ftp://ftp.phys.ttu.edu/pub/mandrake/updates/9.1/*

Then update your Package Sources from drakconf, and/or set up your ftp
server to serve this directory, and you're all set.

I've never noticed much trafic on that server.  It used to be part of
the official 8.2 mirrors but was taken off their list for some reason.
But the server itslef is still keeping up with Mandrake Soft for updates
and isos so I still use it.  This setup took about 2 hours to run the
first time I ran it, but since then I've never noticed it running, and
I'm on a 144k isdn.  I kept the input file and directory prefix so I
could use this to get updates for multiple versions (9.0, 9.1, and 9.2
when it comes out) and still have them use the same script.  I suppose
there is a better way to do this (rsync?) but I know wget pretty well
and I was lazy.  ;-)  This at least works well, and it's a LOT faster to
update a system through the lan rather than the net.  And in my mind
this is easier than dishing out the $60, and even with the $60 I'd still
probably do this for speed.

Just my $0.02...