On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 10:54:32AM -0500, Brady Hegberg wrote:
> Generally you can't do a lot with Linux unless you're an expert (so
> far).  Example:  Just installing my mom's printer (which even had a
> sticker of Tux on it!) involved logging in as root and changing
> permissions on files.

This is partially because of your poor choice in a Linux distribution.
Red Hat, Mandrake, and even Debian (if installed from something like
Knoppix or Libranet ) can be a pleasent experience for a newbie user.
You purchase pre-install Linux workstations and laptops no-a-days
without too much difficulty, and receive technical support and even
warranties if you choose the right vendor.

There's a learning curve to be dealt with, but that is true of every
operating system.  In fact, my parents have ordered a new workstation
from me -- their computer expert son -- and I'm seriously thinking about
ordering the Libranet 2.8 CD as a gift to them.  I'd rather they try out
Linux before placing them in harm's way with Windows XP Home.

We'll see how it goes.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/