It's not about the money.  We've used BSD/OS (commercial BSD) for years.
I don't find anything wrong with paying for software.  As long as I'm
getting value for my money.  Our BSDI licenses are similarly priced to
Microsoft, so I'm not paying any less versus running Windows.  Linux is
free, but the price is a small factor:

Our decision was based on our experience and environment.  ISP's have
unique requirements for their servers.  Managing servers is a big part of
the job.  I couldn't imagine hosting thousands of domains under 1 IIS box
- what, I'm supposed to add new websites manually and then scroll through
the entire list to make changes to 1 site?

Just imagine if AOL had to get one of their sysadmins to add every new
account (versus giving all of their frontline support folks Administrator
access to their machines).  With unix, you can write a script to add the
account automatically.  And you don't need to purchase a 3rd-party tool to
do this - anyone with a few weeks of bash/perl experience can crank out
this script in an hour.

Imagine hosting thousands of websites, and having to mouse through the
"Event Log" to find the error that one user is getting.  If you're hosting
a *LOT* of sites, this might be across multiple servers.

During the Code Red attack, we configured our webservers to /dev/null any
attempts to access the IIS infection points.  This meant making a config
change for each virtual server we hosted.  This was 5 minutes of work in
VI doing a global search and replace.  This would have taken us days under
Windows.  Right click on the virtual host, choose properties.  Click on
the Logs button...

Flat-file configs and logs, with a powerful and scriptable shell make an
ISP profitable.  Having access to the source is a huge benefit to many
people - if you don't like something you can change it.  Not having to
worry about the BSA kicking down your door is nice too.

Most importantly, remember this.  Drugs finance terrorism, and teenagers
do drugs.  Bill's daughter will soon be a teenager.  Therefore, BUYING
MICROSOFT IS FINANCING TERRORISM.  Do you really want to finance terrorism
and kill innocent children and puppies.  Puppies!  Come on, everyone loves
puppies!

Won't anyone think of the puppies?

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Clay Fandre wrote:

> I was asked to forward this to the list. If you have time please take
> a minute to reply to Michael and explain why Linux is so great.
> Please reply to Linux at xcedex.com.
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Michael McGreevy <MMcGreevy at xcedex.com> -----
>
> From: "Michael McGreevy" <MMcGreevy at xcedex.com>
> Subject: Looking for comments on Linux versus Microsoft products
> To: <info at mn-linux.org>
> Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:00:07 -0500
>
> Hello!
>
> I'm doing a survey on why Linux is having such success.  I was wondering
> if a number of the users in your organization would share with me their
> comments and observations of Linux versus Microsoft products.  Why are
> they using Linux?  Is it just for financial reasons.  Or are there other
> reasons, development, security etc...
>
> I'd appreciate it if some of the members in your organization would
> share their reasons with me.
>
> Best Regards,
>

> Michael McGreevy
> Vice President