Joel Wickard wrote:
> I have a laptop.
> I have redhat 9 on this laptop.
> I decided to recompile the kernel on my laptop.
>
> When I recompile the kernel, then restart the machine, my pcmcia network
> card ( which works fine on the distributed kernel/modules ) will not start
> up.  When the system is booting is starts the pcmcia service fine, but the
> card wouldn't even get power.  Thinking this was odd I checked the
> /var/log/boot.log file, there I was informed that the kernel could not
> locate yenta_socket, pcmcia_core, and ds.  I then checked
> /lib/modules/<myrecompilekern>/kernel/drivers/pcmcia and the three missing
> modules are in fact there.  This is the same place they reside in the
> /lib/modules/<distro-modules>  directory.
>
> So my question is, how do I make the kernel recognize that the modules, do
> in fact, reside where they should be.

In my experience with laptops and pcmcia, when you build a new kernel,
you have to recompile pcmcia.

1. boot stock install
2. grab kernel source and pcmcia source (store on laptop hard disk
   as you won't have network if pcmcia is all you have for networking
   once you boot a custom kernel.
3. build new kernel (leave out all pcmcia options when building the new
   2.4 kernel) and install it.  I've had better luck having things
   detected using pcmcia source and NOT what comes with the 2.4 kernel.
4. boot new kernel
5. now build and install pcmcia
--
scot