Have used Knoppix....its fun but cannot match the love I have for slack....im not a big fan of Debian...sure its great an all but its just not slack....the main thing I am looking to do here is make a distro for my own use....something with only the packages I use so I don't take any space up with stuff I'm not gonna use, don't have to download anything and so I have my own kustom kernel so I don't have to recompile with every install...
In summary....Debian bad slackware good....reinventing an already perfect wheel is good too :-)
Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Clark [mailto:peter-clark at bethel.edu]
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2003 2:17 PM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] distro makin' fool

	My recommendation would be to take a look at Knoppix. If you don't know,
Knoppix is a distro meant to be run from a CD. Klaus Knopper, the chief
developer, manages to squeeze 1.7 GB onto a 700 MB iso, so it comes with
almost everything you could possibly want. While it is primarily meant to be
run from CD, it includes an install script. The steps to remastering Knoppix
are well documented in the forums (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/) and any
questions you might possibly have are probably already answered on the
mailing list (http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermail/debian-knoppix/). And,
since Knoppix is based on Debian (some use it to set up a Debian system,
rather than deal with Debian's seven-year-old installer), you can just
apt-get any programs that aren't included on Knoppix.
*and* a customized installable distro, with all the resources of Debian and
its 10,000 packages. It doesn't get any better than that. Have fun!
	:Peter

--
Oh what a tangled web they weave who try a new word to conceive!