Search for the linux from scratch project.  I believe it's just a howto on
how to roll your own.

(http://www.knoppix.net/forum/) and any
questions you might possibly have are probably already answered on the
mailing list (http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermail/debian-knoppix/). And,
since Knoppix is based on Debian (some use it to set up a Debian system,
rather than deal with Debian's seven-year-old installer), you can just
apt-get any programs that aren't included on Knoppix.
distro
*and* a customized installable distro, with all the resources of Debian and
its 10,000 packages. It doesn't get any better than that. Have fun!
	:Peter

--
Oh what a tangled web they weave who try a new word to conceive!