Yes, I'm just pointing out that CVS works fine on
a large project.  18M source is a large project on my world.

Bob has obviously slipped into some future time dimension
on a distant planet, thus the 1.8G use.  Welcome to the
twilight zone, you will be programming in this cubical :)

I recall the full cvs repository for this sdcc project
at around 60M.  Maybe your cvs delta history is overflowing
with a bunch of binary bitmaps?  If the actual source tree
is of reasonable size, maybe you need to purge some history?
Start a fresh repository?

If your actual source is > 100M you need to find
your way out of the twilight zone :)