Well with the help of a friend of mine we managed to determine that mandrake
didn't 'like' the built-in nic.  So I disabled the it and dropped in a 'new'
nic card and re-installed mandrake and it works just great!
But (and there is always a but) I can ping other boxes on my network but
they can't ping this new box.  I disabled iptables to no avail.  What would
cause this to happen?