On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 08:47:50AM -0500, Chad Walstrom wrote:
> I wrote:
> > Digital signatures are OK, if you feel it's absolutely necessary.
>
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 11:49:27PM -0500, Florin Iucha wrote:
> > Now, now, Chewie... What about the digital signatures?
>
> I meant exactly what I said.

Maybe I read too much in that "absolutely".

>                               Digital signatures are useful if and when
> your emails need to be verifiable.  I don't believe every post I send to
> the list is all that important, so why should I sign them all?

I sign my messages to attract people's attention on message security.
People do not encrypt their messages because:
   - they don't know it can be done,
   - they don't know how it can be done,
   - their partner doesn't know how it can be done,
although they routinely place their paper-space messages in sealed
envelopes.

I am trying to raise the awareness: if people will see the signature
enough, they might become curious and learn more about it.

>                                                                 YMMV, so
> I don't begrudge people who feel its necessary to sign everything.  I
> can envision occassions where the habitual signing of each email is
> actually beneficial.
>
> Regardless, does that clear up any confusion I may have caused?

_Absolutely_ not.

Cheers,
florin

--

Don't question authority: they don't know either!