I'm replying to a lot of stuff in this thread collectively.  There are
lots of small snippets to respond to, but I don't want to inundate the
list with crap.  (Chewie: I'm also trimming my headers. ;)

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Spencer Butler wrote:
> Historically installfests are on a Saturday and begin at noon.

 Uhm, I don't think so, no.

> I had a passing idea the other night.  Why not collectively build and
> installfest box?  We could all pitch in parts and time and a couple
> bucks and build a decent server to hold distros and burn off ISO's and
> the like.  I am sure we could even find a home (possibly a roaming home)
> for the box to live while it is not at an installfest.

 This sounds like a pretty good idea.

> My thought is, have it live at something like installfest.tclug.org (/me
> smiles at jima) and allow people to use it on a regular basis.

 Spencer, I've told you before: No.
 Oh, you mean about the DNS.  Sure, no problem.
 :D

> Of course, this would require extra bandwidth (which is not free).
> However, we could also use if for some low-bandwidth applications, like
> installfest documentation and picture archives.

 This seems okay.

> Just a thought...
> No need to reinvent gladiator, but gladiator is not as mobile as it once
> was.

 Yeah, it's friggin' huge now.  And heavy, too, I'm told.  Let's not even
go into how fragile it is. :(

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Shawn wrote:
> The last few installfest I've been at started at 10 if I'm not
> mistaken...

 I do believe most of the ones I've been to did.

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, K B wrote:
> Jima-  I remember you saying that you wouldn't be able to make it to the
> next one likely.  Still can't make it, or what?

 Nope, I'm busy that weekend.

> If so, we should get together so I can get a copy of your ISO mirrors
> (and get mine all set up...)

 Well, I myself snagged most of the stuff I had from Gladiator, thanks to
the coordination of the folks at RTE.  The drive most of it was on was
borrowed, and has since been blown away.  I've still got the Woody ISOs
for i386, sparc, & ppc, Mandrake 9.1 for i586 & ppc, the Slackware ISOs
(thanks Shawn!), and my usual RedHat mirror stuff.

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Florin Iucha wrote:
> Naah. For the server we need an ugly duckling nobody wants to play
> with. Just sitting in a corner serving files... Any old PII-class should
> do it just fine over 100 mbit.

 I'm one to agree with this.  Servers that don't do anything besides serve
are the most reliable.  The server at the last installfest was a 1.3ghz P4
with 128mb RAM.  (It was handy, it wasn't mission-critical, and it had
onboard Firewire.  Perfect candidate.)  The CPU was more than enough, but
the RAM was less than I'd prefer to have (256+), but unless someone's
giving away RDRAM...oh well. :)

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, David Phillips wrote:
> Ah, good point, I had forgotten about those.  Just tell everyone to
> bring LCDs.  :)

 Oh!  You're buying me an LCD monitor!  How sweet.

 I think that covers everything from this thread.

     Jima