Well, better be ready for a few...*Has a 550 Watt Power Supply and a GeForce 4*  But my new LCD should bring my usage back down a bit...

-----Original Message-----
From: "David Phillips" <david at acz.org>
To: <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:55:15 -0500
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] Have date for Installfest

Rick Meyerhoff writes:
> The last time we had a fest in a conference room we blew out the
> power.  If we estimate 20 machines at 2 amps per machine,
> that's 40 amps. That's  a rough estimate

While it is always good to be conservative in your estimates, it seems high.
A computer usually uses the most power when it is starting, since that is
when the drives spin up.  High end video cards might use more power, but
I've never measured since I don't play Quake on my servers.  I've seen
different racks of eight servers pull between 1.4 and 6 amps total.  I've
seen a box with eight IDE drives never go above 1.1 amps.

Two amps is probably a safe estimate, but a more realistic one might be one
amp, assuming everyone isn't playing Quake on a GeForce 4 or powering up at
once.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/

This is not about Napster or DVDs. It's about your Freedom.
http://www.anti-dmca.org