On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 08:56:34PM -0500, Sam MacDonald wrote:
> I have an AST Bravo NB-RC laptop
> CPU = 486/33 Color
> RAM = 20 mb
> HDD = 190 mb
> VID = Chips & Technologies 65530
> FDD = 1.44
> Network = Xircom 10 mbt
> Zip Drive = Parallel Port 100 mb.
>
> Any chance that I could install Linux on this and get X going with 190 mb of
> disk?  Just enough to get network, zipdrive, and maybe X running.

I don't see why not, if you can fit your X install into 100 Mb or so.
I have basic networking on this laptop, and adding parport devices would
only take a kernel recompile.  I've run X on a 486/25 so I know it can
be done.

If you went with slackware or linuxfromscratch I'm sure you could get
more bang for your buck than I did with Debian.  Apt on a 386 has to be
the saddest thing ever.  It takes about 15 minutes to build the
dependency tree.  I know there's a lot of cruft in my install (no, I
*don't* need exim, thanks), so I'm not pushing the envelope any.

--
trammell at el-swifto.com  9EC7 BC6D E688 A184 9F58  FD4C 2C12 CC14 8ABA 36F5
Twin Cities Linux Users Group (TCLUG)      Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota