As long as the router is dynamically getting the ISP's DNS address, you
should be able to enter the router's IP as the gateway and DNS.

-----Original Message-----
From: The Wandering Dru [mailto:dru at druswanderings.net]
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 1:45 PM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] getting Internet working on Debian

Charlie Obert wrote:

> I have Debian 3.0r1 on one of my machines here, and I'm having trouble
> getting the Internet setup working.
>
> First my ethernet card wasn't being recognized, but I could do a
> modprobe sis900
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.99 netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> and after those commands I can ping my router (192.168.0.1) (Actiontec
> with Quest DSL) and have it work. So, eth0 is up and the network is
> live, but typing any internet URL in a browser gives me a 'site not
> found' error. (I can also get to the Router setup screen from a browser.)
>
> Can anyone help me with what I need to do now to get to the Internet?
>
> Thanks in advance.

You need to give the machine some DNS servers to use to look up internet
addresses.  These go in your /etc/resolv.conf file.

ie,

nameserver dns1.yourisp.com
nameserver dns2.yourisp.com

--
The Wandering Dru <dru at druswanderings.net>
http://druswanderings.net <--- Things 'n' Such

Get nifty TCLUG merchandise at the TCLUG Store!
http://www.cafeshops.com/tclug