Argh.  I HATE having to reboot; it makes me ashamed.

Mandrake 8.2 Linux on an x86.  Running both lpd and cupsd.

But, periodically, when I have my machine offering cups services on my
LAN, and they get used from across the LAN, printing hangs up.  The
queue shows a big goob and nothing happens.  I can empty the queue,
but nothing prints after that.

I try restarting cups --- /etc/rc.d/init.d/cups restart claims all is
hunky-dory.  But when I restart lpd, I get the following error:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd start
Starting lpd: Warning - lp: cannot open lp device '/dev/lp0' - Device or resource busy
                                                                [  OK
]

And at this point, I don't know what to do to unwedge /dev/lp0, but
reboot.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, anyone able to explain why Mandrake gives me both LPD and CUPSD?
This might be a Bad Thing --- when I did the install, it repeatedly
crashed in printer configuration, so maybe I should have only ONE of
these...  Is one built on the other, or are they competing?

Thanks!