On Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002, at 01:07 US/Central, Wil Pike wrote:

> Newbie here... I've been to 3 installfests so far with limited success
> at
> each and attempted a Beer-Meeting (ugly results - had the wrong night
> or
> something....). The last 2 Karl (Carl?) has assisted me (quite well, I
> might
> add) - no, I don't know his last name, but the red-headed one.

OH GOD! No wonder it doesn't work, Carl touched it! :-)
Just kidding of course.

> Anyway... I've watched the 'switch' Apple commercials for too long as
> I sit
> thru yet ANOTHER 'download the Winders drivers' nightmare on a 'new'
> box
> I've put together... I'll not bore (or would that be entice?) you with
> the
> details at this point except to say it's pretty close to top-shelf
> components across the board...  Exasperation (being the combination of
> 'expitives' and 'perspiration') finally set in when I was unable to
> get the
> thoughtfully-included software to operate either the CDRW OR the DVD
> drives.
> I've been working under the mantra of 'Micro$oft-free by the end of
> 03',
> trying to slowly slide into a comfort zone with Linux (started with
> Mandrake, more recently with RH) doing dual-boot setups... (I HAVE
> successfully setup an older 400Mhz machine as a RH-ONLY system, but
> that is
> the extent of my 'good' luck with Linux so far... *sigh*).
>
> So (for the few of you that may still be following this
> rambling...)... it
> now comes to this. My immediate past results have me ready to jump
> into the
> great by and by of Linux where I will either fall to my death on the
> rocks... or learn to fly. As it currently stands, however, I am
> seeking a
> guru who works for pizza-and-beer prices to do a little tinkering on
> this
> box to get it Linux-enabled dual-boot... I have no 'release-loyalty'
> that
> couldn't be swayed by much more than 'my favorite release is...' as I
> REALLY
> want to get this going!! (and, IMHO, it's a pretty cool stash of parts
> I've
> acquired to make this thing go, so there'd be the fun of playing with
> it
> once it was working...).

If you have one of us come fix your box, you won't learn anything. Hop
in to the irc channel(s) #tclug on irc.openprojects.net and
irc.oftc.org, there's all sorts of dorks in there who will help you out
if you ask and appear to have read the fine manuals and given it a go
yourself. Also, having done your research will assist you in asking the
right questions.

> I'll open the bidding at a 6-pack of your favorite barley-pop and (at
> least)
> a small size of your favorite pizza... any takers? IF it matters to the
> bidders, I live near 169/62 just outside Hopkins... *crossing fingers
> and
> sitting back to wait on the bidding now...*

Or say the hell with it and buy a mac.

Ben Lutgens
System Administrator
Sistina Software Inc		http://www.sistina.com