Hi,

Can you help me figure out what's going on with my modem?
When I try to connect to the net the first window that comes up is one
that asks for my root password to run net-monitor.  Why is it doing this?
Then it tries to connect and fails and when I close the window it still
tries to connect over and over again even though nothing shows on the
desktop that it's doing that.
I've been trying a couple of different modems and at this point
Harddrake is saying that I have the internal modem installed but I
don't.  I have an external modem.  How do I remove this hardware config
and tell it to use the the external one?  It's confusing to me that the
system tells me I have a PCI modem but in fact it's and external modem
and yet it still works... in the sense that it sending a signal to the
external modem.
The modem works on the win98 side.
I have Mandrake 8.2 installed.