Are you using DHCP?

In theory, a reboot shouldn't be necessary to bring up the network.  Another
alternative to using the GUI Service Configurator would be to use the
following at a prompt.

# service network restart

The above command will start the network even if it is currently down and it
should be a lot faster than a reboot.

Mark Courtney