On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 11:21:49PM -0500, Scot Jenkins wrote:
> Bob Tanner wrote:
> > I have a Request for Comment (RFC).
> >
> > I received a request from someone to remove several posts from the tclug-list
> > archives.
>
> I'd suggest having that person post a follow-up to their original post
> and allow them to retract whatever they see fit.  This maintains the
> archives history, and hopefully teaches that person (and others) a
> valuable lesson "Think before you hit SEND".

I strongly disagree with "rewritting the history". A statement can be
retracted, but not undone.

         **

Isn't it curious that the only mistakes that can be _perfectly_ undone
are the money transactions? (because money are abstract enough that we
don't care if it is this dollar or that dollar). And even there,
transactions are not erased from books, but the opposite transaction
is recorded.

         **

Q: What is the difference between a light bulb and a pregnant girl?
A: You can unscrew the light bulb.

         **

I say let them apology and retract their statements. That will be
archived. It need not be more than "I am sorry". I know first
impression is [unfortunately] so important but the long-term behavior
is more important than a silly flame two years ago.

florin

--

"NT is to UNIX what a doughnut is to a particle accelerator."