mysql config:

/usr/bin/ contains lots of files, including mysql files [many with
opaque names];

the permissions on the mysql files must be changed to root/mysql;

since "ls -l" yields the date of mysql's install:

root at gent bin # ls -l mysql
- -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        55464 Mar 31 02:03 mysql

and

root at gent bin # ls -l * | grep "Mar 31"

culls the names of the mysql files from /usr/bin [they all have 02:03
or 02:04 as the times on Mar 31],

i created a special "subdirectory"

root at gent bin # mkdir /tmp/mysql

and assumed that "ls -l * | grep "Mar 31" | cp /tmp/mysql/"

would copy the SELECTED FILES, themselves, from the directory
/usr/bin/ to the directory /tmp/mysql/

so that i could, then, do this:

root at gent bin # cd /tmp/mysql

and

root at gent mysql # ls -1

and have "ls -1" on the special subdirectory yield a file containing
just a vertical list of file names;

this is the simple list i want to edit for my chown script;

SO, IS THERE A WAY TO USE THE OUTPUT OF

ls -l * | grep "Mar 31"

AS THE INPUT FOR A COMMAND WHICH WOULD COPY THE FILES?

or, is there another way to get my list?